Thoughts on Traveling...

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Here's an email I wrote to some friends while in KL. I realize I coooould post the email updates here. We'll see if I actually remember too :)

Before I left NYC, I went to a group meditation and when Angel read my energy, she said that I was going to meet like minded people. I completely understand what that means now and I only understand it now from these two days in Kuala Lumpur. I feel like people are divided into two groups when it comes to traveling: those who live to travel and those who travel to live. Those who travel to live use it as a way of escaping their reality. Those who live to travel are born with a wide-eyed curiousity, open and excited about how the world is. Traveling isn't an escape--it's what their life is. And I feel that way, and have felt that way ever since I said no to living comfortably in LA and yes to living a mystery life of a nomad. The emails I send, the adventures I have... they don't feel any more special to me than sitting down and having fish & rice with my aunt for dinner at home. Being on my own and traveling through SE asia is just as much an adventure as walking down Broadway in nyc. I don't mean these thoughts to sound snobby or anything... I think I'm just figuring out the type of person I am.

You'd be surprised by how many people I've met who have no fuckin' clue what they want to do with their lives but KNOW they have to travel right now, and for the next 6 months. And we all have an ending destination accompanied by a big fat question mark regarding what to do after that. I'm soooo comforted by this. Before I left I was freaking out and thinking, what the f am I doing with my life? Spending my money and then what? I don't know! Haha. I've met people who are traveling longer than me, have been to more places than me and I'm finding a space where I'm not rare, but part of a community.

Today has been like yesterday... a whirlwind of experiences and meeting people, and I love it. I love that I know so many things that I didnt know before just because I was in a specific place at a specific time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...